Being a loyal friend, your dog deserves a well-balanced, nutrient-rich meal that caters to his body demands. However, several false advertisements and the presence of multiple brands might confuse you in choosing the best.
Here is a brief guide that will help you in choosing the right dog food.
Determine The Nutritional Requirements Of Your Dog
First of all, you need to analyze the dietary needs of your dog as per the age and level of activity.
- Different phases of life require different kinds of food. For example, in a pregnant dog, the level of calorie requirement is high.
- The source of calories in dogs must be healthy. For example, the calorie range of 20-25% from proteins is usually acceptable for healthy dogs. But you can also decrease or increase the amount depending on the condition of your dog.
- The nutritional needs of small breeds and large breeds are different depending on their muscular and skeletal requirements.
- For preventing joint issues, the puppy food requirements also vary.
- There are vast options available for dog food in various categories. For example, dry kibble and canned food. But you need to understand your dog’s condition, the level of activity, requirements and act accordingly.
Pick The Most Appropriate Dog Food
Picking the best dog food can be a little daunting, but this step-by-step guide will make your work easy.
1. Choose Between Dry Or Canned Food
The dry and wet canned food both have their benefits and limitations, as mentioned below:
|Dry Food||Canned Food|
– Energy density is high
– A bit helpful for canine dental health
– Easy to store
– The level of animal-based proteins is low
– The water content in the diet is low (6-10%)
– It can be digested easily
– Tastes well
– A high content of proteins and fat than dry food
– High water content
– A bit costly
– A bit hard to store
Hence, depending on your dog’s budget and nutritional needs, you can choose between dry or canned food.
2. Check The Labels
While considering brands for dog food, don’t get distracted by the false advertisements. Your only priority should be a completely balanced diet for your dog. Also, it would help if you made sure that the label of AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) is present on the packaging. This label ensures that the brand meets the primary guidelines of dog food.
But this AAFCO label entirely doesn’t mean that the food is balanced. You need to check that either it’s composed of healthy ingredients or preservatives or chemicals are more.
3. Search For Ingredients
While looking for ingredients, check for the following points.
- Beware that the over-supplementation of minerals like glucosamine and vitamins isn’t good for a dog’s health.
- The level of protein in food should be high. The reason is its role in providing energy. Also, the more the activity level of dogs, the more protein requirement is.
- A considerable amount of healthy fats are also necessary for your dog. They may be in the form of salmon, fish oil, or canola oil. The over-addition of fats is a wrong indication.
- The presence of complex carbohydrates will also be a good indication. They also should be high in amount as compared to fats.
4. Compare Different Brands
Before choosing the final brand, check and analyze the different options. Compare their ingredients, analyze them and choose the most appropriate one. If you’re looking for special discount coupons on dog foods, visit Get coupons world, and you’ll end up grabbing a good deal.
5. Check Amount Of Proteins, Fats, And Carbohydrates
The overall amount of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates in a package should be balanced. Beware that the information on the label can be misleading. In this case, you can go with people’s reviews on the Internet. Also, make sure to feed a balanced amount as per the label.
What If Your Dog Has Special Dietary Needs?
If your dog faces a reaction to any food in the form of diarrhea or allergies, you must consult your vet. Vet-recommended dog food will be appropriate according to the physical condition of your dog. Also, while choosing food, you must check for specific ingredients your dog is allergic to.
Hence, that was all about how to choose the best dog food. Follow our recommended guidelines to make the best choice depending on the nutritional needs of your dog. Take good care of minerals, and you’ll be good to go.