Having awareness about the skateboard parts guide is an excellent idea to follow. The reason behind it is pretty simple. The weightage of parts of the skateboard is the same as the complete skateboard. The accessories are essential in building a customized skateboard of your choice.
In-Depth Skateboard Parts Guide
To get an appropriately customized skateboard, you need to follow the sizing chart and make sure that the parts are equally compatible. It will help in showing the best results. Some parts that you need to consider include:
The skateboard dimensions concerning the deck size are essential to determine the size depending on the person’s age. Some points to consider in this regard are:
- The large or full-size decks are best for skateboarders over the age of 13.
- For children within the age of 9-12, the deck width should be around 7.3 inches.
- The options of mini decks are best for skateboarders within the age of 6-8.
- Choose micro-size decks for children less than six years.
Also, several types of skateboard decks must be chosen according to the person’s level of experience. For instance,
- Shortboards are best for avid skaters for performing tricks.
- Cruiser boards with kicktails are best to use in the streets for medium-level skaters.
- Longboards are suitable for newbies who want to learn tricks and want stability.
Also, the deck features should be taken into account like wheelbase, mounting holes, ply, EFP, concave, nose, and tails for making the best choice. Make sure the features are appropriately there.
The wheels of a skateboard are also crucial while customizing aboard. They should be chosen with care to take control of speed. Also, they matter a lot in terms of providing stability. Some points to consider about wheel diameter are:
- The 50-53mm wheels are small and suitable for skating in the street.
- The 54-59mm wheels are best for beginners to practice stability and learn tricks.
- The 60mm + wheels are meant for avid skaters for skating on ramps or rough terrains.
Among wheels, the choice of a durometer is also essential for showing promising results. The durometer scale is a 100 point scale that determines the hardness of wheels. Some tips to consider in this regard are:
- 78a-87a durometer is best for a smooth ride on rough surfaces. It can be streets or hills.
- 88a-95a durometer means a bit harder and fast wheel, which is excellent for use on streets.
- 96a-99a is a suitable range durometer for use in skateparks and other purposes.
- 101a + durometer are suitable for avid skaters. The reason is less stability and more speed.
So, it is essential to take care of wheel diameter and durometer for making the best choice.
While choosing the skateboard bearings, you need to consider the material and ABEC ratings. The steel and ceramic bearings are most appropriate in terms of material for best efficiency. For ABEC ratings, here are some tips to consider:
- The minimum rating you should get must be ABEC-6. Please don’t settle for less, as it’ll lead to a perilous journey.
- ABEC-7 bearings are suitable to use for beginners for smooth rolling on various types of surfaces.
- ABEC-9 and more rating bearings are suitable for pro-skaters for fast rolling on the ground and ramps.
Among skateboard trucks, the material and components are the most important. In terms of material, always go with aluminum or steel trucks. Don’t skimp for low-quality cheap trucks. Also, make sure to check the following parts of a skateboard truck.
- The axle should be lined up correctly.
- The hanger should be following the axle.
- The bushings should be of high quality for smooth results.
- The kingpin should be durable and capable of handling tricks.
Grip tape is another essential factor to consider concerning skateboard accessories. It is a resistive material on the surface of the board. It helps to prevent the user from slipping and maintain the balance over the skateboard.
That was all about the use of skateboard accessories and a brief guide about choosing them. All you need to do is to check the compatibility. If you’re looking for beginner boards, all the parts should be in accordance with the board, and you’ll be good to go!